Here is how I think you should go about figuring out the secret to immortality:
- Sequence the genes of the immortal jellyfish, Turritopsis dohrnii.
- Compare its genome to that of a mortal jellyfish, such as Scyphoxoa.
- Take those genes unique to the Turritopsis dohrnii and compare them to the genome of other mortal species – plants, humans, whatever, to further eliminate genes in common that do not bestow immortality.
- You should have some fun genes to test, one or more of will be what you’re looking for.
- Another route would be to do the same thing for very long-lived species such as the Aldabra Giant Tortoise, the Ocean Quahog Clam and the Humongous Fungus.
Good luck & be sure to tell us when you’ve figured it out.
— The Scientific Team at Daisybrain
Here’s some more science stuff: